USPS LiteBlue, Finding local post office jobs is not an easy task. First, you have to determine what type of postal job you are interested in. Some of the more popular postal jobs include: post office clerk, postal carrier and mail clerk. Other local post office jobs include corporate jobs, sales and marketing jobs, and information technology jobs.
LiteBlue – The US Postal Service (USPS) delivers billions of pieces of mail each week in all types of weather. Postal employment worldwide consists of millions of employees operating thousands of Post Offices vehicles. Postal jobs involve processing, sorting, and delivering mail and packages as well as providing customer service and supplies in post offices. Most postal service workers are mail carriers, clerks, or mail sorters and processors. Postal clerks wait on customers at post offices, whereas mail sorters, processors, and processing machine operators sort incoming and outgoing mail. Mail carriers deliver mail to hundreds of millions of addresses throughout the world.LiteBlue
Facts about the United States Postal Service
- The USPS is financially independent from the federal government, generating all its own revenues with no subsidies from American taxpayers.LiteBlue
- The postal service employs more U.S. workers than GM, Ford, and Chrysler combined.
- Postal Service employees are one of the few groups of federal workers with the right to bargain collectively for wages and conditions.
- In 2007, the USPS delivered over 200 billion pieces of mail, about 700 million pieces a day.
- The USPS delivers more in one day than FedEx does in a year and more items in one week than United Parcel Service does in a year.
- Each carrier delivers over 40 tons of mail per year.
- An average carrier delivers more than 2,300 mail pieces per day on approximately 240,000 routes.
- The USPS employs over 700,000 workers in the U.S.
- The average salary of a postal worker is $48,000 annually.
- The US has the most affordable postage in the world. A first-class stamp costs 41 cents in the U.S., 75 cents in Japan, 49 cents in Germany and 71 cents in Britain.
- The USPS has annual revenues of over $75 billion. LiteBlue
Finding and Applying for Local Post Office Jobs
LiteBlue – The process of obtaining a job with the US Postal Service is sometimes confusing. The best approach to finding a postal job is illustrated in the steps below.
- Determine the type of position you are interested in.
- Determine the location where you want to work
- Determine if there are any of your desired positions open in the locations that you want to work
- Apply for the open positions online or at your local post office
- Prepare for and pass the relevant postal exam